Monday, September 3, 2007

Organizing my home office

Organizing my home office has been a very daunting task.
I didn't want to just throw stuff out, so this is what I did. It took a lot longer, but I do feel good about it.

Recycle
First I took a few hours to pick out stuff that I could recycle. I broke down cardboard boxes and separated the plastice item.
I got a good paper shredder an got rid of old receipts and personnal papers that I no longer needed. I recycled this too.
I'm thankful my apartment complex has bins by the dumpster for these items. But there is also a recycling center pretty close.
I had a huge desk that was damaged in my last move. With a friend, we took it apart and threw out the broken and bent pressboard top. I kept the drawer sets and made a little file cabinet/printer stand but placing the drawer sets side-by-side and covering them with an old colorful mexican blanket that I had in a trunk. I did by a smaller, more functional writing desk. I tried to find one used, but could not find a small desk. Most were large with built in drawers.

Reuse
I gave a lot of stuff to goodwill. My office closet had a lot of clothes I no longer wore and an old stereo that I didn't use. That all went to goodwill. I also emptied a lot of folders and paper clips and can reuse those.

Organize
I did have to buy a shelf for my closet. I've been waiting to see if I could find a shelf or get one second hand, but after a month I broke down and bought a new shelf set at Bed Bath and Beyond. Oh well.

Almost there!
I'm almost finished with my home office. It's looking a lot better and I now realize there are a ton of books I wanted to read that were hidden under other stuff. I moved a small comfy chair into my new space and now I have a great place to read. So with a little bit of time and thinking ahead, I did some summer cleaning and feel pretty good about it! :)

No comments:

Popular Posts

AHHA member since 2013

The American Holistic Health Association is the free and impartial information resource for wellness and healing. In fact, AHHA is endorsed by leading healthcare professionals worldwide. Our sole purpose is to offer you impartial holistic health resources — both alternative and traditional —that help you become more active and confident in your health decisions.

LINKED IN Profile
www.linkedin.com/in/janetjpattison

Veteran Owned Business

Veteran Owned Business Directory, Get your free listing, now!