Sunday, September 30, 2007

What to do with that burnt out bulb


I switched to the new flourescent bulbs a few years ago and I now have my first burnt out bulb. I knew I needed to recycle it, so I looked on the package and it took me to www.lamprecycle.org
I just wanted to find out how to recycle the bulb.
That site took me to Energy Star site,
which took me to the Earth 911 site which led me to a dead end.
That site only had places in Maryland which accepted the bulbs.
(UPDATE: Earth 911 has updated their site!)

I went back to the Energy Star site,
which took me to the EPA site,
which took me to the www.arlingtonva.us site which gave a facility in Arlington. And this is what it says:

HHM Facilty Location and Hours of Operation
Arlington County's household hazardous materials (HHM) facility is for disposal of household hazardous materials generated by Arlington residents. The HHM drop-off facility is located on the grounds of the Water Pollution Control Plant at 3402 S. Glebe Rd. The HHM entrance is at 3151 S. Fern St, at the intersection of South Fern Street and South Glebe Road.
We do not accept commercial or business hazardous materials.
The HHM drop-off facility is open every Saturday between 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, except during major holidays and scheduled E-CARE collection events (typically held one Saturday in April and October). Please call 703-228-6832 to verify HHM facility closures during these times.
A scheduled appointment is not required to drop-off materials on Saturdays. However, citizens are encouraged to confirm acceptability of their HHM materials by calling the HHM chemist at (703) 228-6832 before arrival at our facility. On Saturdays, citizens should proceed directly to the HHM storage sheds and check-in with the HHM chemist.
Monday - Friday hours are by appointment only. Call (703) 228-6832 during business hours to schedule an appointment. On weekdays, citizens with appointments should report to the security guard at the gate.

So I'm just asking....how many complex ways are there to dispose of a lightbulb?
There has got to be a better way.

1 comment:

CnH said...

Hi!
I wanted to tell you that here in Roseville we have a number to call for hazardous waste pick up! We also have a drop off place. But I was surprised at how convenient it was to just call and they sent a truck out for my two florescent kitchen bulbs!
-CnH

Popular Posts

AHHA member since 2013

The American Holistic Health Association is the free and impartial information resource for wellness and healing. In fact, AHHA is endorsed by leading healthcare professionals worldwide. Our sole purpose is to offer you impartial holistic health resources — both alternative and traditional —that help you become more active and confident in your health decisions.

LINKED IN Profile
www.linkedin.com/in/janetjpattison

Veteran Owned Business

Veteran Owned Business Directory, Get your free listing, now!