Sunday, August 23, 2009

Gorgeous gardening




Let's take Going Green literally today and apply it to the back patio.

About a month after moving to Mississippi, the community held a "garden party". A local landscaper brought in plants and low-water shrubs to teach us about garden care.

The first 50 people would get a free garden hose and petunias.

I, of course, went and got my petunias for the front yard and since I already had hoses, they gave me a free sprinkler. They had all sorts of plants on display. The soil here is mostly sand so there were a lot of grass varieties that you would find on the beach. They also had some standard flowers that grow well in full sun in pots.

Before I left they asked me to sign up for a drawing. They were giving out these tall spindly stalks to a few homes. They said they would bloom, but the guy couldn't remember what the plant was called, unusual I thought since he was representing a landscaping company. But I don't remember the company's name, so I can't hold it against him.

Anyway, I won one of these plants and put it in my backyard. Well, the wind came and blew it over once, so I moved it to against the house. I gave it water and some fertilizer and one morning I walked out to the sight above. I grabbed the camera and then looked up the plant on the internet.

I had won an Angel Trumpet.
It blooms at night and closes during the day.
It has a wonderful sweet smelling fragrance.

Well, now I have a reason to enjoy the back patio at night and in the early morning. I get to see the Angel Trumpet in full bloom. Who knew that going green would smell so sweet?

No comments:

Popular Posts

AHHA member since 2013

The American Holistic Health Association is the free and impartial information resource for wellness and healing. In fact, AHHA is endorsed by leading healthcare professionals worldwide. Our sole purpose is to offer you impartial holistic health resources — both alternative and traditional —that help you become more active and confident in your health decisions.

LINKED IN Profile
www.linkedin.com/in/janetjpattison

Veteran Owned Business

Veteran Owned Business Directory, Get your free listing, now!