Saturday, March 24, 2012

Skinny Jeans

I'm happy to say I'm back into my Skinny Jeans!

How did I do it?  I finally took the plunge and cut out meat and dairy. In 3 weeks I lost 3 pounds and two inches off my thighs which got me back into these jeans.  I did this without additional exercise. In fact, I had knee surgery last Friday so I haven't really worked out in a couple months.  Saying no to meat has been hard, but I made up for it by adding garlic and chipotle pepper to my dishes to give them a savory taste.

I grew up thinking that meat and dairy are the staple foods.
"If you don't eat anything else, finish your steak and drink that milk!"
What I'm now starting to understand is how your body metabolizes meat and dairy.  
In order to digest these animal proteins, the body uses its stored calcium.

Researchers at Cornell University have found a direct link between diary products and osteoporosis.
"This phenomenon could explain why Americans, who ingest much higher levels of calcium, have much higher rates of osteoporosis and hip fractures compared with many Chinese and other Asians who consume few dairy products and ingest low amounts of calcium," Campbell said. Hip fractures in the United States, for example, are approximately five times more frequent than in China.
http://www.news.cornell.edu/chronicle/96/11.14.96/osteoporosis.html
Other studies have also found a link to bone loss and eating animal protein. http://milk.elehost.com/html/why_does_calcuim_leave_the_bon.html

The American Heart Association nutrition committee did a study of high animal protein/high fat diets and found that although initial weight loss was quick, this diet will "induce metabolic ketosis" depleting your liver glycogen stores.  They body then burns fatty acids instead of glucose.  You will live, but your body will then start burning the protein found in your muscles if you don't start taking in a large amount of carbohydrates. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/104/15/1869.long

So, what is going on with eating just vegetables, legumes and whole grains?  The vegetables work with the legumes to create complete plant based proteins that do not require the body's calcium to digest and the whole grains provide the carbohydrates that are also easy to digest.   My body is working more efficiently and no longer needs to store fat.  I'm also getting more nutrients in each bite of food.  Now a plant based diet is also known to lower blood pressure.  Mine is already 96/54 so I don't know how much lower I can get before passing out!  Yow!




No comments:

Popular Posts

AHHA member since 2013

The American Holistic Health Association is the free and impartial information resource for wellness and healing. In fact, AHHA is endorsed by leading healthcare professionals worldwide. Our sole purpose is to offer you impartial holistic health resources — both alternative and traditional —that help you become more active and confident in your health decisions.

LINKED IN Profile
www.linkedin.com/in/janetjpattison

Veteran Owned Business

Veteran Owned Business Directory, Get your free listing, now!