Sunday, June 17, 2012

Recipe: Getting dirty with Black Bean Burgers

Here is my accidental recipe for Black Bean Burgers!



Ingredients
2 cups of cooked black beans
1/2 cup chopped purple cabbage
1/2 cup chopped favorite greens (I used chard and radish greens)
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 cup of oatmeal
3 tblsp chipotle seasoning (I used Mrs Dash)
optional: 10 paper towels
Serve with lettuce, tomato and chopped radishes.

Directions
1. Finely chop all of the veggies and in a large bowl mix in the chipotle seasoning.
2. Blend the black beans until smooth in a blender.
3. In the large bowl, mix the beans with the veggies and add the oatmeal until you can form the mixture into patties.
4. Lightly grease a pan with olive oil and heat the pan up to a medium heat.  Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side until the burger starts to brown.

Use organics when possible to decrease your toxins. :)

Wow! These were fun to make but I really made a mess out of the kitchen trying this recipe for the first time!

So first I cook the beans. This isn't too hard to do.  I've started cooking beans in rice cookers so I can put them in and leave them until they are done.   We had a couple of bean incidents where beans were left on the stove. It took a month to get the burnt bean smell out of the kitchen!  Did you know you have to soak a pot in backing soda and vinegar to get the burnt smell out?
Anyway, so I solved that issue by cooking my beans in the rice cooker.  After about 45 minutes I came back to check on the beans...and the entire area surrounding the beans was covered in gray polka-dots!  The counter, floor, juicer, knives, everything within a foot of the rice cooker was sprayed with black bean liquid. I grabbed 4 paper towels and started wiping things down.  Ugh!  So I opened up the cooker to see if the beans were done and they were not.  At this point is was 6pm and everyone was getting hungry.  Mom warmed up some soup and I sprinkled some baking soda and chipotle spice in with the beans and covered them back up for 20 more minutes, and poured myself a glass of Merlot.

In 10 min I came back and put all of the veggies into the food processor, and transferred the veggies to a large mixing bowl.

In 20 min I came back and took the cooked beans and poured them into the food processor.  Whoa! Black liquid started to pool around the base and down the slides of the processor.  Note: drain the beans first and don't overfill the processor.  Well, the damage was done so I grabbed 4 more paper towels to catch the liquid and put the processor on high.  The beans whipped up fast and I then transferred that into the the large mixing bowl.  I had to use a spatula to get it all out and my hands were turning gray from the bean debris.  But it was soupy! I had too much liquid in the beans!
I grabbed the oatmeal  container, also speckled with gray, and started adding oatmeal until I could form the mess into paddies.  Of course I had to taste it at this point and it was bland!  Gray bean bland!  I grabbed the gray speckled bottle of chipotle seasoning and dumped the rest in.

I took the bowl over to the stove and realized I hadn't gotten my pan ready.  I grabbed 2 more paper towels to get the bean off of my hands and wipe down the stove top.  Then I heated my pan and started making patties.  Now the mixture looked great.  You have the blackness of the bean contrasted with the bright purple of the cabbage and green of the onions and greens.  It was a gorgeous site!  But, when you make the patties...it's like putting your hands into fresh soil.  By the time I was done, it looked like I had came from the yard, my hands covered in dirt and specs of dirt all over my t-shirt and jeans.  I suppose this would have been a good time to wear an apron.

The rest of the cooking and eating was easy and I got 2 thumbs up from my husband.  He of course smothered his patties in hot sauce but said the texture was perfect.
That was my adventure making the black bean burger for the first time!  Have fun making yours!

No comments:

Popular Posts

AHHA member since 2013

The American Holistic Health Association is the free and impartial information resource for wellness and healing. In fact, AHHA is endorsed by leading healthcare professionals worldwide. Our sole purpose is to offer you impartial holistic health resources — both alternative and traditional —that help you become more active and confident in your health decisions.

LINKED IN Profile
www.linkedin.com/in/janetjpattison

Veteran Owned Business

Veteran Owned Business Directory, Get your free listing, now!