Friday, February 8, 2013

Great snack or breakfast: Gluten-free Carrot Almond muffins

Need a whole foods snack with protein or something quick for breakfast?
This is the snack for you.   (About 6 grams of protein/muffin.)

I make these after making my almond milk this morning.  Before I didn't know what to do with the almond pulp after running it through the juicer.  Well, I found this great recipe using ground almonds and thought I would give it a try!

Dry
2 cups raw almonds ground (if you didn't just juice them, then put dry almonds in a blender or food processor until almost powdery)
1/4 ground golden flax seeds
1 teaspoon gluten free baking soda (it needs to say gluten free on the box to be sure)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.

Wet
2 cups grated carrots (I just put 4 small carrots in a blender)
1/4 cup of olive oil or melted coconut oil (I used olive this time, but will do coconut next time for a sweeter tasting muffin)
1/4 honey or maple syrup (I used maple syrup for the richer flavor.)
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (I threw 1 cored apple into the blender.)
4 large eggs

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Blend wet ingredients in a blender or food processor, then mix in with the dry.  Fill the cups to the top with batter.  
I had leftover batter so filled up some greased mini-tins and make 6 bite sized muffing.  Great for kids!
Bake for 30  minutes and cool on a wire rack.
I had to bake mine for 40 minutes.  I think my batter was wetter since I used a whole apple and whole carrots.

This was a good way to use up that almond pulp.  I think next time I'll add a tablespoon of cinnamon or ginger or maybe even cayenne pepper.  It's needs a little zing. 

p. 140 Nourishing Foods cookbook

No comments:

Popular Posts

AHHA member since 2013

The American Holistic Health Association is the free and impartial information resource for wellness and healing. In fact, AHHA is endorsed by leading healthcare professionals worldwide. Our sole purpose is to offer you impartial holistic health resources — both alternative and traditional —that help you become more active and confident in your health decisions.

LINKED IN Profile
www.linkedin.com/in/janetjpattison

Veteran Owned Business

Veteran Owned Business Directory, Get your free listing, now!